Sunday, January 24, 2010

Teaching Textbooks 4

Math has been a struggle for Almond. Not that she isn't good at it, she just doesn't like doing it...Somewhere in the process, she decided it was too hard, and didn't enjoy the daily drill. In first grade she began the complaining, whining and crying. I tried to switch curriculum to find the right fit... I know I've made mistakes, which probably didn't help the issue! I also went back and forth about really wanting a mastery program vs. spiral approach. I've tried Singapore, MUS, Developmental Math, Houghton Mifflin Math, unschooling with games and activities, a tutor, and Horizon... What I realized was that dd does need a spiral approach, or we'd be stuck in the same place for a LONG time! My other kids weren't that difficult...Pistachio used Saxon up until Algebra, and now uses TT as well (I never pushed the mastery thing with him because he is very gifted in math, and MUS annoyed him).

So I guess with all that rambling, I wanted to say that we have been doing TT for the last 2 weeks, and she loves it! She's been doing at least one lesson a day, without any coercion, tears, or complaining! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Made by Lena